What Makes a Great Teacher? A Lesson I’m Learning With My Student Teacher

 This year, I have a student teacher in my class, and it’s been a great experience for both of us. It’s reminded me of what really makes a good teacher great. Sure, you can have the perfect lesson plans, know your curriculum inside and out, and have the best classroom management strategies in place. But there’s one thing that can’t be taught in a teacher prep program: enjoying being in the classroom.


I’ve realized that the teachers who really leave a mark on their students are the ones who genuinely enjoy their time with them. It’s more than just showing up and delivering lessons. It’s about connecting with the kids, joking with them, and showing that you’re having fun being their teacher. Because let’s face it—kids aren’t always going to remember that grammar rule you taught them or that math strategy you drilled into their heads. But they will remember how you made them feel.


Think back to your favorite teacher. Chances are, it’s not because they explained fractions so well or because they followed every lesson plan to the letter. It’s because you felt comfortable in their classroom. You knew they cared about you, not just as a student, but as a person. That’s what I’m constantly reminding my student teacher. Yes, we need to teach the standards, but we also need to make sure our students feel seen and valued.


I’ve noticed that when I take a moment to laugh with my students, show them I’m having a good time, and be a little goofy, they respond in a way that goes far beyond academic achievement. They open up more, they’re more engaged, and they leave the room with smiles on their faces. And honestly, that’s the impact I want to have.


Teaching is about relationships. Sure, we’re shaping their minds, but we’re also shaping their experience of learning. When they remember their time in school, I want them to remember feeling happy, confident, and cared for. That’s the kind of teacher I want to be—and that’s what I hope my student teacher takes with them into their own classroom one day.


Because in the end, it’s not the test scores or the perfect lesson that stays with students. It’s the feeling that you were glad to be there, with them, every single day. That’s what makes a great teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Restorative Practices Aren’t Working (And How We Fix Them)

AI in the Educational World

Equity Is More Than Race, Culture, and Religion