Applying Andrew Huberman’s Learning Strategies to My 3rd Grade Classroom

Recently, I listened to a podcast by Andrew Huberman that focused on how we learn. One of his key points was the effectiveness of testing yourself right after learning something. This immediate self-assessment helps identify gaps in understanding, allowing you to refocus on areas needing improvement before testing again. As I listened, I couldn’t help but think about how I could apply this strategy in my 3rd-grade classroom. Testing doesn’t have to be formal or overwhelming; it can be engaging and fun, helping students build stronger, more lasting knowledge.

After reflecting, I realized that by testing students right after they’ve been introduced to new material, I can gain insight into where their understanding is solid and where it needs reinforcement. Once we identify those areas, we can refocus our learning efforts. After reteaching or providing extra support, we can test again, giving students an opportunity to demonstrate their improvement.

Here are some ways I plan to apply this strategy in my 3rd-grade classroom:

1. Exit Tickets

At the end of a lesson, I’ll give students a quick exit ticket with one or two questions about what they’ve just learned. This will allow me to assess their immediate understanding and determine who needs extra support. Plus, exit tickets are a fun, low-pressure way for students to show what they know.

2. Think-Pair-Share

After teaching a new concept, I’ll have students pair up and quiz each other using questions I provide or ones they come up with themselves. This interactive testing encourages peer teaching, which reinforces understanding for both students involved.

3. Whiteboard Practice

I can use whiteboards for quick quizzes. I’ll ask a question and have students write their answers on their boards, holding them up when ready. This allows for instant feedback, which is crucial to keeping students engaged and aware of their progress. It's a fun way to test in real time without feeling like a formal assessment.

4. Interactive Notebooks

Another way to apply this concept is through interactive notebooks. After teaching, I’ll have students complete a brief reflection or short-answer question on the material. They can then go back to those answers later for review, testing themselves again after revisiting the lesson.

5. Game-Based Learning

Using games like Kahoot or Jeopardy-style reviews right after learning something new can make testing exciting and less intimidating. It provides immediate feedback for students, letting them see where they need to focus without the pressure of a traditional test.

6. Self-Assessment Checklists

At the end of a lesson, students can complete a simple checklist assessing their understanding of key concepts. They can mark areas where they feel confident and areas where they’re unsure, helping me guide follow-up lessons and giving them a clear sense of what to review.

7. Quick Recap Sessions

The next day, I’ll start the lesson with a quick, informal quiz based on what was taught the previous day. This will not only refresh students’ memory but also give me a chance to see who might need extra help before moving on to new material.

Testing immediately after learning helps students actively engage with the material and identify areas of misunderstanding. By making testing low-pressure and part of our daily routine, students can feel more comfortable with self-assessment and grow more confident in their learning journey.

Through small, simple strategies like these, I believe I can help my 3rd graders learn more efficiently, gain confidence in their abilities, and develop a love for learning that will serve them well beyond the classroom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Restorative Practices Aren’t Working (And How We Fix Them)

AI in the Educational World

Equity Is More Than Race, Culture, and Religion